Tuesday, February 10, 2015

What a Beautiful Wreck You Are

I'm reading a book that my son picked up at the library called This is Where I Leave You (it's also a movie). I am really enjoying it, and can relate to a lot of it.

There's a particular line from the book that I texted to the New Englander because it reminded me of us:

"She would be pretty and vulnerable and we would know each other instantly, would love each other fiercely, the way only two damaged people can."

Yes we did.

When I heard this song for the first time today on the radio, it made me think of that line, and of the
beautiful wrecks we both were (in some respects) when we met. But since he was much more freshly divorced, and had much less therapy, he even more so.

We didn't make it as far as I thought we would together, partly because of his beautiful wreck of a self, but I am profoundly grateful for the love we shared:

I've lost count of the times I given up on you
But you make such a beautiful wreck, you do
There's a tavern on the corner called the 'Milky Way'
And you look so at home there it makes me afraid

And at the dark end of this bar
What a beautiful wreck you are
When you go too far
Beautiful wreck you are

Well, all the plans that you had from seven years ago
Like all the promises you made, I watched them come and go
You put your keys in the car but it wouldn't drive
With your hands on the wheel, lookin' barely alive

I'm still sitting here
Waiting on the passenger side
For you to make up your mind
For you to make up your mind

I'm happy to report that I'm not still sitting on the passenger side waiting for him to make up his mind. I've climbed back into the driver's seat of my own life, and damn, it feels good!

No comments:

Post a Comment