Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Heaven


Sweet supta kurmasana: how I've longed for you!
Here we are, day 5 of the cleanse. I'm no longer feeling angry (which is what always comes up when I take away my treats), I have more energy, and my body is feeling less stiff.

I had a tough, but important, conversation with my parents this morning, which involved lots of tears, and when I got to practice I suggested to my partner that we practice without talking. We're supposed to do that every day but when it is just the two of us, we tend to chat. I knew that, today in particular, I needed the medicine that comes from a real Ashtanga practice.

And what an amazing practice it was, in so many ways, not the least of which was FINALLY binding this posture that I have been working on for over a year. It is difficult to even describe the feeling I had when I managed to grab my hands at long last. It was pure, unadulterated joy. Heaven. Might not look comfy, but it felt like a miracle.

Hence today's song, chosen for its title, not necessarily its lyrics:

Our children will always hear
Romantic tales of distant years
Our guilty age may come and go
Our crooked dreams will always flow

Stick with me
Oh you're my best friend
All of my life
You've always been

Remember remember
All we fight for
Remember remember
All we fight for

Don't leave me
Oh you're my best friend
All of my life
You've always been
Don't leave me now
You're my best friend
All of my life
You've always been

Remember remember
All we fight for
Remember remember
All we fight for

In that moment, I didn't need to remember anything. I was the embodiment of all I've been fighting for all these years: healing, growth, flexibility, safety, surrender, strength. It's all in there!

No comments:

Post a Comment