Saturday, February 15, 2014

Last Mile Home

Tonight I went to see August: Osage County with a friend. Wow. Incredible acting, but it almost feels like too much to take in. So much dysfunction. So much anger. So much hardness. So little redemption.

This is one of the songs from the movie. I don't remember when it was playing, exactly, but it reminded me of the final scene, where the bitter daughter takes off from her mother's home and heads for her own:

Take it back, I never meant it
Never thought it would come to pass
Baby know it's not forgotten baby
Know that this is gonna last

By and large I had it coming
I recall the tremble in your eyes
I just want to make it better
I just want to make it right

Driven on the last mile home, driven on the last mile home
Things are always better, when were all together
I'm driving on the last mile home

Although you don't get the sense that things are going to be better for her, necessarily. Just that however ugly things have gotten in her own life, they can't possibly be as ugly as things in her parent's life where her Dad has just committed suicide and her Mom is popping downers left and right to deal with it. And there's freedom in that. Not as much as she might like, but enough...

No comments:

Post a Comment