Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Changes

I went to the gym today, not just to teach yoga, which I love doing, but also to hit the treadmill. Reluctantly. I don't know what's going on with me this year, but I just don't feel like riding my bike in the bitter cold. I don't feel much like running in it, either, but I do feel like eating, so I can't really afford to give up exercising.

As I was winding down my miles on the treadmill, this song came over the speakers at the gym:

I feel unhappy
I feel so sad
I've lost the best friend
That I ever had
He was my dad
I loved him so
But it's too late now
I let him go
I'm going through changes
I'm going through changes

I love this song. I love how young Ozzy is, and I love how it reminds me of my love of Ozzy. That's right my friends, I had an Ozzy poster as a freshman in the dorms at UW-Madison. I only wish I had a photo to prove it.

This song also reminds me of my days in another dorm, my junior year, in England. I had a very good friend that year who was a huge fan of rockers like Ozzy and David Lee Roth, and he indulged my love of their softer side. I came to find out this indulgence was due to his crush on me -- which I didn't learn about until I had already gotten off with one of his mates from school. At that point in my life, I just wasn't able to pick up on subtlety, though part of me wished I had when I heard this song blaring from my friend's room in the middle of the day in our dormitory:

We shared each day
In love together
We found a way
But soon the world
Had its evil way
My heart was blinded
Love went astray
I'm going through changes
I'm going through changes
It took so long
To realize
That I can still hear
his last goodbye
Now all my days
Are filled with tears
Wish I could go back
And change those years
I'm going through changes
I'm going through changes

Oh well. I reckon we would have both done things differently if we could go back and change those years. He would have been more forthcoming about his affections, and I would have chosen my nice, attentive friend rather than his brooding, aloof mate. But we can't go back, we can only live and learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment