Thursday, December 11, 2014

Turn the Page

I heard this song driving home from the airport this evening:

On a long and lonesome highway, east of Omaha
You can listen to the engines
moanin' Out its one note song
You can think about the woman or the girl
You knew the night before

But your thoughts will soon be wandering
The way they always do
When you're ridin' sixteen hours
And there's nothin' much to do
And you don't feel much like riding
You just wish the trip was through

And here's the thing. My trip was through. I was back in Madison after my three days in DC, but part of me didn't feel home. Part of me felt like I was returning somewhere where something, and someone, are missing. Not a good feeling:

Here I am, On the road again
There I am, Up on the stage
There I go, Playin' star again
There I go, Turn the page

Perhaps it is time, as my friend suggested, to turn the page. Reluctantly.

Just for the record: It's the Metallica version I heard on the radio, and the one I hear in my head -- but this song was originally Bob Seger's...

No comments:

Post a Comment