Sunday, February 28, 2016

Smoke Gets in Your Eyes

After my run yesterday I decided to take myself to the movies. I saw 45 years, which I would describe as a good but kind of tough movie about life and love. I had heard mixed things about it, but I felt that it brilliantly portrayed how hard it is to be ok with the person you love loving someone else even if they also love you, as well as how complicated it is that we all take with us the experiences from the people we've loved before and that can't help but shape what we bring into our subsequent relationships.

It seems interesting to me that the couple celebrating 45 years chose this as the song for their first dance when they were married:

They asked me how I knew
My true love was true
I of course replied
Something here inside
Cannot be denied

They, said some day you'll find
All who love are blind
When your heart's on fire
You must realize
Smoke gets in your eyes

So I chaffed them, and I gaily laughed
To think they would doubt our love
And yet today, my love has gone away
I am without my love

Now laughing friends deride
Tears I cannot hide
So I smile and say
When a lovely flame dies
Smoke gets in your eyes

Not a particularly happy number, is it?

It was, however, apropos when the couple was dancing at their anniversary party under the shadows of secrets they'd kept from each other all those years...

No comments:

Post a Comment