Thursday, September 8, 2016

Glycerine (Redux)

If ever there were a song that could encapsulate my entire relationship with the New Englander, this is it:

It must be your skin I'm sinking in
It must be for real 'cause now I can feel
And I didn't mind
It's not my kind
It's not my time to wonder why

Everything's gone white
And everything's gray
Now you're here now you're away
I don't want this
Remember that
I'll never forget where you're at

Don't let the days go by

Glycerine
Glycerine

I'm never alone
I'm alone all the time
Are you at one or do you lie?
We live in a wheel
Where everyone steals
But when we rise it's like strawberry fields

(That last line might be my very favorite. It's just so perfect. We rose alright. And the fields were full of plump, juicy, perfectly ripened strawberries.)

If I treated you bad
You bruised my face
Couldn't love you more
You got a beautiful taste

Don't let the days go by

I thought long and hard whether to use this song to mark this day because I have, in fact, already used it, nearly five years ago.

But I decided it was appropriate, for two reasons:

1) I didn't, I couldn't have known then just how perfectly this song would tell the story of my relationship with the man I loved so completely who just couldn't love me back in the same way;

2) This morning on my bikeride to campus, the next two lines played over and over in my head as I sang along out loud (and days fans know about my deference to my inner jukebox):

Could have been easier on you
I couldn't change though I wanted to

Yep. I know that now.

Should have been easier by three
Our old friend fear and you and me

But it wasn't easy. Not by a long shot:

I needed you more
When we wanted us less
I could not kiss just regress
It might just be
Clear simple and plain
Well, that's just fine
That's just one of my names

Don't let the days go by
Could've been easier on you, you, you

Yes, it could have been, but it wasn't.

And I've grown by leaps and bounds as a result...

No comments:

Post a Comment