Saturday, July 15, 2017

Spleen Merchant

High Fall Risk indeed!
Last night was one crazy night.

It started off normal enough -- my boyfriend, daughter and I headed out to Quarry Ridge to mountain bike.

On a rocky climb, my boyfriend took a tumble. No biggie, he thought, and climbed back on his bike. We both fall off our bikes in much bigger ways than that on a regular basis.

But he wasn't fine, and before we knew it, we were in the car on the way home. My daughter said she predicted he was going to start puking, and that he was probably bleeding internally. We brushed it off -- no honey -- it wasn't that hard of a fall.

An hour or two later, we learned that her predictions were true as my man became too weak to walk, fainted, and started throwing up. I called 911 and away he went to ER with me following soon after.

It was super scary in the ER, with lots and lots of doctors and talk of blood in the abdomen and possible surgery. I held it together pretty well until the chaplain came to talk to me -- that undid me a little -- followed by the social worker.

My boyfriend, meanwhile, was an absolute champ: super brave, super polite, participating in his health care (could you please clear my c-spine, he asked the trauma attending, so that he could take off the cervical collar)...

Still, it was one stressful night, and my poor man is gonna be laid up for a while.

This song is pretty dark, and I don't much like the lyrics, but there aren't a lot of songs out there about spleens -- go figure!?

When I die you can cut me up and take all that you please
But pity the poor dumb fool who gets my bleeding spleen
Corn pone, I born tomorrow, my bone marrow protein filled
Scotch whiskey Men of Tain have come to split your skills
Hey, hey
I got your heaven, I got your burning hell, I got it all right here

Bleeding speen -- check!

Heaven -- a bit elusive at the moment.

Hell -- nah, wouldn't go that far...

No comments:

Post a Comment