Sunday, July 17, 2011

How Could Anyone

This song goes out to all those among us (which probably includes all of us) who were at some point wounded by our parents. Not because they didn't love us, but because they were human, and had wounds of their own that hadn't healed sufficiently to have what we needed:

How could anyone ever tell you?
You were anything less than beautiful…
How could anyone ever tell you?
You were less than whole…

How could anyone fail to notice?
That your loving is a miracle…
How deeply you're connected to my soul…

When I was doing the heavy duty healing from my own childhood wounds, I used to listen to this song on repeat, preferably in my car, where I could belt it out, cry -- do whatever I needed to release the sadness from the kid inside me, let her sing, and remind her that I'm here now to see her beauty and her wholeness, as are many others.

This really helped me let go of some feelings I really didn't want to carry around anymore anyway. They weren't doing me, my own children, or anyone else any good, but they needed to be felt.

No comments:

Post a Comment