Friday, July 29, 2011

True love will find you

The Beck cover of this tune was the ipod's selection at an opportune moment this evening -- a moment in which I was savoring the trueness of the love I'm experiencing now:

True love will find you in the end
You'll find out just who was your friend
Don’t be sad, I know you will,
But don’t give up until
True love finds you in the end.

I was unfamiliar with this song, which was apparently written and originally performed by Daniel Johnston, of whom I'd never heard. Brilliant lyricist, he is. Particularly in this second (and last) verse, he captures my experience of being willing to be vulnerable, to do it differently this time around:

This is a promise with a catch
Only if you're looking will it find you
‘Cause true love is searching too
But how can it recognize you
Unless you step out into the light?
But don’t give up until
True love finds you in the end.

I'm so glad I didn't give up before it found me. Or give up when it found me, for that matter....

Oh, and here's one more cover, if you still haven't had enough -- this one's Wilco.

No comments:

Post a Comment