Monday, August 8, 2011

You're So Vain

Tonight I got to enjoy the company of two of my favorite women, one of whom was celebrating her birthday. It was lovely to see them both and introduce them to my man. After dinner, we walked to their car so that one could show us the hilarious birthday card that the other had given her:

"Leo: You consider yourself a born leader. Other people think you are pushy. Most Leos are bullies. You are vain and you cannot tolerate honest criticism. Your arrogance is disgusting. Leos are thieving bastards who like to kiss mirrors a lot."

Love it! And it was even funnier because the birthday girl is anything but pushy, vain, or arrogant, and it caused me to break into some Carly Simon singing:

You're so vain, you probably think this song is about you
You're so vain, I'll bet you think this song is about you
Don't you? Don't You?

Viewing the lyrics, I noted that this song is apropos for this birthday girl for more than just the silly astrological birthday card reason. This past year started out pretty rough for her when her man dumped her, later admitting that he did it to avoid having her leave him. As screwed up as that sounds, I totally get it, and have perpetrated such break-ups myself. So I can say with a fair amount of certainty that he, like me, just wasn't ready to give of himself in the way she wanted or needed him to:

You had me several years ago when I was still quite naive
Well you said that we made such a pretty pair
And that you would never leave
But you gave away the things you loved and one of them was me...

It sure hurts when we have to let go of people we love, but time helps heal those wounds. Here's to the lovely Leo getting the love she deserves in the coming year!

No comments:

Post a Comment