Sunday, June 3, 2012

Help!

Yesterday my daughter and I had quite an adventure. Her Dad dropped her off shortly before her soccer game started, but she still wanted to bike, and I was game because I thought it was at a school just a couple of miles away. When we arrived at the field, already 10 minutes late, no one was there. I quickly called to find out which field it was, and when I realized it was even further west, I decided our best bet was to bike there.

That was a miscalculation.

Fast forward 28 minutes -- I have bike grease all over my leg, she is crying -- I see a clock and realize there is no way we will be there before the game is over if we keep riding.

I decide we need help:

Help, I need somebody,
Help, not just anybody,
Help, you know I need someone,
Help!

I make a couple of desperate phone calls while riding but neither person picks up. Right after crossing an intersection, I decide to ask someone for a ride. I use my intuition to pick some nice people and explain the situation to them. They agree to drive us to the soccer field, so I lock up our bikes while my daughter tries to take in what is happening. "I'm not getting in that car," she said:

When I was younger, so much younger than today,
I never needed anybody's help in anyway.
But now these days are gone, I'm not so self assured,
Now I find I've changed my mind, I've opened up the doors.

"Ok," I say, "but then you're not going to make it to your soccer game either." So she gets in, we get delivered safely to the game, the coach puts her in, and not even two minutes later, she scores a goal and I'm redeemed. 

Another parent pointed out how we teach our kids so much about not talking to strangers, but sometimes, they can be the ones to help! when you need it most.

No comments:

Post a Comment