Monday, June 4, 2012

We are Young

My kids and I heard this song in the car the other day and before we knew it, all three of us were singing along:

Tonight
We are young
So let’s set the world on fire
We can burn brighter than the sun

It is super rare for all three of us to like the same song, and I, for one, appreciate not just the sound of this anthem but also the sentiment: we can burn brighter. And I feel like we have been lately. Maybe it's the increased sense of presence I feel during this cleanse, I'm not sure, but I'm liking it.

Reading these lyrics, I can't help but appreciate another, more literal sentiment, and the fond memories it brings up of when I was considerably younger:

So if by the time the bar closes
And you feel like falling down
I’ll carry you home tonight

Yes, it's true. When I was a freshman in college I carried my friend's little brother (who wasn't little at all -- 6'1" 180 pounds) home on my back from frat row because he was drunk and said he was too tired to walk. I'd had a few myself, which was why I didn't feel the pain from that heavy load until the next day. Couldn't move around much for a couple of days, but it was well worth it for the fame I enjoyed as "the coolest girl" my friend's little brother had ever met.

1 comment:

  1. do yourself a favor and buy their whole album. you'll enjoy!

    ReplyDelete