Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Skyfall

Dang, February has been an off month for blogging. The month has just about come and gone -- which I'm ok with. Days are getting longer, ice is beginning to melt off the streets -- I even made it to work on my bike last week without falling off. Can't let those gams (or the rest of me) get too soft!

My daughter asked me in the car the today if Adele was my favorite singer. She's not (Eddie Vedder still holds the honor) but I do think she's amazing, and her Oscar-winning bond hit is no exception:

This is the end
Hold your breath and count to ten
Feel the earth move and then
Hear my heart burst again

For this is the end
I've drowned and dreamt this moment
So overdue I owe them
Swept away, I'm stolen

Let the sky fall
When it crumbles
We will stand tall
Face it all together

It hasn't been an easy stretch, these last few days, with a sick kid and a pile of new house issues that just keeps growing and even includes, Adele-style, a crumbling ceiling in my daughter's bedroom.

As for standing tall in the face of it all, well, I'm doing my best, and sometimes, that just doesn't seem good enough. I try to clean up my messes when I make them, though, or soon after -- this morning I apologized to the Target pharmacist after being short with her.

Let the sky fall
When it crumbles
We will stand tall
Face it all together

I reckon the other tricky part for me is that sometimes it feels like my boyfriend and I are facing it all together and sometimes it feels like he's about to bail. I'm not going to lie, that's tough, and I think it sets up this strange space where we don't really want to break up but we don't really know that we can continue as we are once he's a thousand miles away again:

Skyfall is where we start
A thousand miles and poles apart
Where worlds collide and days are dark
You may have my number, you can take my name
But you'll never have my heart

That Adele, she's a clever lyricist, but I'm not gonna pretend that last line has an ounce of truth to it in my situation...

No comments:

Post a Comment