Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Father and Son

Part of the Breathe for Change Family at Concert on the Square
Tonight a group of us from my yoga teacher training went to Concerts on the Square.

We couldn't actually hear the music, but that was fine with me -- I'd had this song playing on repeat on the inner jukebox all day long -- and it's such a classic:

Father
It's not time to make a change,
Just relax, take it easy.
You're still young, that's your fault,
There's so much you have to know.
Find a girl, settle down,
If you want you can marry.
Look at me, I am old, but I'm happy.

Now I don't exactly understand why it's his fault that he's young, and I'm not exactly old, but I am older than most of the people I was hanging out with tonight:

I was once like you are now, and I know that it's not easy,
To be calm when you've found something going on.
But take your time, think a lot,
Why, think of everything you've got.
For you will still be here tomorrow, but your dreams may not.

And that's ok -- that's part of how I am able to mentor some of them over these two plus weeks that we have together.

I think I'll play a little Cat Stevens when I'm teaching tomorrow, too, this voice just transports me -- we'll see if that feeling holds for the younger generation:

Son
How can I try to explain, when I do he turns away again.
It's always been the same, same old story.
From the moment I could talk I was ordered to listen.
Now there's a way and I know that I have to go away.
I know I have to go.

Father
It's not time to make a change,
Just sit down, take it slowly.
You're still young, that's your fault,
There's so much you have to go through.
Find a girl, settle down,
if you want you can marry.
Look at me, I am old, but I'm happy.

Son
All the times that I cried, keeping all the things I knew inside,
It's hard, but it's harder to ignore it.
If they were right, I'd agree, but it's them you know not me.
Now there's a way and I know that I have to go away.
I know I have to go.

I've made it clear to everyone in the training that I no longer keep things I know inside. It's no way to live. Every day I'm taking another step into my truth, and I'm so grateful to have so many awesome people to walk beside me...

No comments:

Post a Comment