Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Love is a Rose

I think we might've picked the rose. Sorry Neil!
Ok so going through old emails, sometimes romantic, sometimes sexy, sometimes funny, sometimes poignant emails, from an ex-boyfriend is a tricky business, however productive it may be in terms of book writing.

Especially when I come across snippets like this one from the New Englander from October of 2010:

"The quality of our dialogue gives me a lot of faith in us in every respect. I have so much respect for your ability to see yourself clearly and to tackle your challenges and to be willing to remain open even when there's potential for getting hurt."

Whatevs buddy. The quality of our dialogue, and it is some damn fine quality dialogue, got us nowhere in the end.

Maybe we forgot to pay attention to Neil's advice -- this song was one of many that we emailed to each other during that first year spent together but apart:

Love is a rose
but you better not pick it
It only grows when it's on the vine.
A handful of thorns and
you'll know you've missed it
You lose your love
when you say the word "mine".

I wanna see what's never been seen,
I wanna live that age old dream.
Come on, lads, we can go together
Let's take the best right now,
Take the best right now.

I wanna go to an old hoe-down
Long ago in a western town.
Pick me up cause my feet are draggin'
Give me a lift and I'll hay your wagon.

Love is a rose
but you better not pick it
It only grows when it's on the vine.
A handful of thorns and
you'll know you've missed it
You lose your love
when you say the word "mine".
Mine, mine.

Yeah, we mighta said mine one too many times. Guess we just didn't really understand that:

Love is a rose, love is a rose.
Love is a rose, love is a rose.

It must be some kind of cruel irony that it wasn't that long after we were geographically together that we started to grow apart emotionally, making me nostalgic for the version of together and apart that we had going in the first place...

No comments:

Post a Comment