Sunday, April 3, 2016

The Living Proof

I spent the majority of my weekend at an Ashtanga yoga workshop in Madison. The teacher drove up from Waukesha, where he (and his wife) offer daily mysore practice (or almost daily). I so wish Madison had an authorized teacher -- what a difference it makes to practice with a teacher who really knows what he (or she) is doing!

The workshop gave me a lot to think about, including the possibility of becoming a vegetarian at some point. Definitely a huge leap for me and one that's going to need to percolate for a while before I (if I) make that leap. But the teacher feels very strongly that not eating meat is part of being an Ashtanga yoga practitioner, so I'm going to at least give it some real thought.

We also talked a lot about how in the first few years of practice the body presents all sorts of obstacles and difficulties, including knee and back pain. Knees are the big one for me. I get discouraged sometimes when it seems like my body refuses to change, but the truth is, it has changed monumentally in the last three years, as have I.

But the feeling that there is still a long ways to go is never a good one, and when I get overwhelmed, I just get really tired.

So I came home, took a nap, and then heard this song, which motivated me to keep on keeping on:

It's gonna be a long long journey
It's gonna be an uphill climb
It's gonna be tough fight
It's gonna be some lonely nights
But I am ready to carry on
I am so glad the worst is over ('cause almost took me out)
I can start living now
I feel like I can do anything
And finally I am not afraid to breathe

Anything you say to me
And everything you do
You can't deny the truth
'Cause I am the living proof
So many don't survive
They just don't make it through
But look at me
I am the living proof
Oh yes I am

Thinking about life's been painful
Yes it was
Took a lot to learn how to smile
So now I am gonna talk to my people,
About the storm, about the storm
Oh so glad the worst is over
I can start flying now
My best days are right in front of me
Yeah and I am almost there
'Cause now I am free

I know where I am going
Hey 'cause I know where I've been
I am gonna feel strong that's showing
I am gonna keep going
That's the way that I will

Nothing about my life has been easy
But nothing's gonna keep me down
'Cause I know a lot more today
Than I knew yesterday
So I am ready to carry on

Thanks for the inspiration, Mary J.

And thanks especially for that reminder that all I need to know I'm moving forward is to see that I know more today than yesterday, and I have no doubt about that -- be it in my yoga practice, as a parent, or in matters of the heart...

2 comments:

  1. But the great thing about knowing there is still a long way to go is that you get to keep learning and living and as I said to another friend recently, if you're not growing, then what? :) <3

    ReplyDelete