Friday, April 15, 2016

Nothing from Nothing


Sure, I'll take a 2016 Volvo XC 90 as my loaner!
What an incredible day! In so many ways. Among them:

1) My day started with a road trip to PJ's yoga shala with another devoted practitioner. What a treat!

2) Speaking of treats, my car is in the shop -- not the usual shop, but the Volvo dealership -- and they gave me this sweet little ride for the weekend. So fast. Handles like a dream. So not going to spend the $50K on it (even if I had it), but I will enjoy it while I have it!

3) The weather is so warm and so beautiful and we've waited so long for it!

4) I got to take advantage of this beautiful day by having my season debut mountain bike ride at CamRock. The legs are weaker than I'd like, but they'll be back.

5) I got to help facilitate professional development at a middle school that really gets it. What a pleasure to work with teachers so dedicated to serving kids with open hearts and compassion.

6) On my way home, I drove down Park St., pulling up next to a car with a couple of dudes with super sweet afros. They, of course, were impressed with "my" ride, and I, with their hair.

7) My note from the Universe today contained this important reminder: The only person who should ever have to live by your standards, Sarah, is you.

It's true. But like Billy Preston, heard in the Volvo today, I do need something to go on. Check out the video for this song, speaking of afros. So classic! I also love his response when he's asked about the title of the song:

Well it's an old saying, and it makes a lot of sense.

Yes it does, Billy. Yes. It. Does:

Nothin' from nothin' leaves nothin'
You gotta have somethin' if you wanna be with me
Nothin' from nothin' leaves nothin'
You gotta have somethin' if you wanna be with me

I'm not tryna be your hero
'Cause that zero is too cold for me, brrr
I'm not tryin' to be your highness
'Cause that minus is too low to see, yeah

Nothin' from nothin' leaves nothin'
And I'm not stuffin', believe you me
Don't you remember I told ya
I'm a soldier in the war on poverty, yeah, yes, I am

Nothin' from nothin' leaves nothin'
You gotta have somethin' if you wanna be with me, oh baby
Nothin' from nothin' leaves nothin'
You gotta have somethin' if you wanna be with me, that's right, ha yea

That's right. Ha yea. I know you're out there. Somewhere. Someone with something. For me.

I just know you are...

No comments:

Post a Comment