Friday, August 26, 2016

Phoenix

This morning my friend/colleague and I presented self-regulation, mindful movement and meditation to 75 staff members at our daughters' middle school. What an honor to be asked, and what an excellent morning it was.

As I sat listening to my friend talk about self-regulation, trauma, the stress response, and our ability to keep learning new ways of coping, I couldn't help but think of my own path. It is even clearer to me in the wake of that trip to Michigan how profoundly I both was and am affected by my upbringing. But it's also clear to me how far I've come, largely through mind-body practices.

The principal made the comment that she hoped the teachers weren't just picturing poor minority students when hearing about trauma and the stress response, since many poor people live full lives and many middle and upper class people live with trauma.

Since I followed that statement, it felt important for me to share that I'm a perfect example of that: My father was a professor, my mother a nurse -- I don't think many people (if anyone) knew what was going on behind our closed door.

But I knew, and as a result, I didn't take a full, deep breath until I was in my 30s. Literally.

After our session, one of the teachers came up and told me that she had the same story. Wow. Here's hoping we can teach today's kids how to breathe, to be in their bodies, to learn to self-regulate, and to find their voices even under very difficult circumstances.

After teaching at the middle school and then at the jail, I went to the gym for a core class, and one of the songs was about a phoenix rising from the ashes. I'm not altogether sure this is the song I heard today, but the subject matter is right on:

Why you hanging in the background?
Like a painting that's been turned round
Come on, come on, come on, come on
Come on, come on, come on, come on
Why you humming with your mouth shut?
It's like Aretha singing backup
Come on, come on, come on, come on
You know the words, go write your song

Make it loud
It's your time now
Can you feel it now?

You got the heart of a phoenix
So let them see you rise
Hey-ey-ey, hey-ey-ey
Let them know that you mean it
Let them see you rise
Hey-ey-ey, hey-ey-ey

You feel it burn when you're knocked down
But let the fire be you crown
Come on, come on, come on, come on
Come on, come on, come on, come on
So go and claim your kingdom
Then slay all your demons
Come on, come on, come on, come on
I know you know where you belong

Don't look now
But you're off the ground
Can you feel it now?

You got the heart of a phoenix
So let them see you rise
Hey-ey-ey, hey-ey-ey
Let them know that you mean it
Let them see you rise
Hey-ey-ey, hey-ey-ey

Let's see you show how high you can go
Flying right past the ones who said no
Let's give them all one hell of a show
Hey-ey-ey, hey-ey-ey

You got the heart of a phoenix
So let them see you rise
Hey-ey-ey, hey-ey-ey

You got the heart, you got the heart
You got the heart of a, heart of a, hey
You got the heart, you got the heart
You got the heart of a, heart of a

You got the heart of a phoenix
So let them see you rise
Hey-ey-ey, hey-ey-ey
You got the heart of a phoenix
So let them see you rise
Hey-ey-ey, hey-ey-ey
Let them know that you mean it
Let them see you rise,
Hey-ey-ey, hey-ey-ey

They see me rise alright. And I'm so grateful...

No comments:

Post a Comment