Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Everything's Not Lost

The ipod shuffled onto this number this morning, and as I listened, I felt a mixture of things. Sometimes it seems like Coldplay's songs are largely gratuitous crowd-pleasers, and this one is a great example of that. But my crush on Chris Martin helps me give him the benefit of the doubt, and when I started to explore the lyrics, I realized that the song, and its connection to my morning, were deeper than I originally thought.

Because, you see, I am wrestling with some demons of my own:

When I counted up my demons
Saw there was one for every day
With the good ones on my shoulders
I drove the other ones away

And unfortunately the good ones on my shoulders don't seem fully capable of driving the other ones away. Maybe building the good ones up is the way to go? It seems like that might work. I shall try it.

In the meantime, I'm happy to say that I feel anything but neglected and I'm keenly aware that everything's not lost:

So if you ever feel neglected
And if you think that all is lost
I'll be counting up my demons, yeah
Hoping everything's not lost

When you thought that it was over
You could feel it all around
And everybody's out to get you
Don't you let it drag you down

Singing out
Oh, oh, oh, yeah
Oh, oh, yeah
Oh, oh, yeah
Everything's not lost

No comments:

Post a Comment