Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Lover, Lover

This song has been with me over the last week or so as issues with my ex and his new girlfriend have come to a head:

Well the truth, well it hurts to say
I'm gonna pack up my bags and I'm gonna go away
I'm gonna split, I can't stand it
I'm gonna give it up and quit and ain't never coming back

It's a lot to wade through, these feelings about another woman quite literally sleeping in my bed (we bought it together), living in my house, and caring for my children. Thank goodness I'm blessed with wise, compassionate friends, as well as an awesome lover who was able to help me have perspective on this situation when the feelings were at their most raw. He reminded me I'd never felt at home in that house, and that the bed she is sleeping in is the one I purposely left because I finally faced up to the fact that this was my experience and had been for years:

Woh-oh lover lover lover, you don't treat me no good no more,
Woh-oh, woh-oh lover, lover lover, you don't treat me no good no more...

What's more, the contrast between this lover and my ex husband is so stark they almost don't deserve to share the same term. Still, I am forever grateful for my babies, for all that I learned about myself during that time period, and for the freedom I had after I left to heal, fall in love with myself, and then wicked fall in love with such an amazing man this time around.

Here's the original from Jerrod Niemann -- I think this is one of those rare cases that I prefer the cover by Sonia Dada (selected by my internal jukebox and linked above)...

No comments:

Post a Comment