Sunday, September 11, 2011

Feels Like the First Time

I'm not sure what it is -- maybe the concentration of time spent with a man who was just starting to rock when this song was big -- but this is the second time this month that the internal jukebox has landed on Foreigner.

We've had our moments since his move to the heartland when we've felt a little more distant than we did on our long weekends together during the year we were apart -- which I think is inevitable given the work/kids/house that gets added to the mix in real life/same city romance. But then something will happen and I'll feel just like I did that first weekend all over again:

Feels like the first time
And it feels like the very first time
And it feels like the first time
It feels like the very first time

This time those feelings were brought about when, lying in bed together, he asked me how I was feeling. A little sad, I answered. "Hmmmm," he replied. "Why don't you float around in it for a while and let me know if you come up with anything you want to share?" This, coming from a man who used to respond to my sadness with wanting it not to be there, wanting to make it better, wanting to change it, felt miraculous, generous, spacious. Lying by his side, I felt free to be where I was and loved in a way that I'm just beginning to get used to:

And it feels like the first time
Like it never did before
Feels like the first time
Like we've opened up the door
Feels like the first time...

No comments:

Post a Comment