Sunday, September 18, 2011

Homeward Bound

I feel like I've had more than my fair share of frustrating parenting moments lately. I think the kids and I have fallen into some patterns that are less than positive and productive and to break out of them, I have to lead us toward a different space. This takes a lot of energy, but I think the reason for the painful times is to gather the strength needed to make the adjustments.

In the midst of a couple of tough days, I got to spend some alone time with my daughter. She chose our activity: going to the climbing gym. I couldn't have picked a more perfect reset button if I'd tried.

As her belayer, I provided her the safety, security and encouragement she needed to climb higher; as the climber, she got to demonstrate to herself and others her strength, her tenacity, and an appreciation for what she could accomplish when I was supporting her in a positive way. She expressed this appreciation repeatedly, and I felt gratified and humbled by the gargantuan task of raising such a strong, capable child.

Marveling at all this, I heard Simon and Garfunkel start to fill the climbing gym, and felt myself filling with gratitude about the home I've been able to create for myself and my children, and the one that my boyfriend and I are one day hoping to create for the four of us:

Homeward bound, I wish I was homeward bound
Home, where my thoughts escape, at home, where my music's playin'
Home, where my love lies waitin' silently for me

Tonight I'll sing my songs again, I'll play the game and pretend
But all my words come back to me, in shades of mediocrity
Like emptiness and harmony, I need someone to comfort me...

And I set the intention that above all else, our home would always be a place where we could all find comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment