Saturday, November 5, 2011

Running Down a Dream

We heard this Tom Petty classic en route to our inaugural family mountain biking trip:

It was a beautiful day, the sun beat down
I had the radio on, I was drivin'

"This is apropos," my boyfriend said. "We are running down a dream."

It only took me a couple of seconds to figure out what he meant.

Not surprisingly, the process of integrating a 45-year old mountain-adventure-loving dude into a Midwestern family just getting its legs as a threesome ain't exactly seamless. As those with kids are well aware, they challenge us to deal with parts of ourselves that we'd much prefer to run away from, or allow to lie dormant. It can be a painful process to witness, and it scares the crap out of me that it is possible that it won't work out, that we won't all be able to get our needs met as a foursome.

Whew. In the meantime, I reckon I'll just take Tom's advice and stay on the path:

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Workin' on a mystery, goin' wherever it leads
Runnin' down a dream

No comments:

Post a Comment