Sunday, November 20, 2011

You Always Hurt the One You Love

My man generally likes his movies on the sunnier side, and I knew this one was going to be a downer, but I'd been wanting to see it since it came out, so I made an executive decision and ordered it up on Netflix. We watched it last night, and throughout the course of the movie we went from thinking that the scene where he first sings her this song is sweet to feeling like it's tragic.

Since we've both been through falling in and out of love, there were a number of painful moments to watch.

Movie aside, it is a pretty damn sad song -- check out the original by the Mills Brothers and see what I'm saying:

You always hurt the one you love
The one you shouldn't hurt at all
You always take the sweetest rose
And crush it till the petals fall

You always brea-eak the kindest hear-eart
With a hasty word you can't recall, so
If I broke your heart la-ast night
It's because I love you most of all

Mostly though, we're banking on that title just not always being true. It's easy to hurt the ones you love, no doubt about it. And we often do. But always? Here's hoping we can break that pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment