Thursday, November 22, 2012

Landlocked blues

On this morning of thanksgiving, I am grateful for a lot of things -- my children, friends and family -- and I'm also grateful for this blog. Because it's times like this, when I feel overall pretty solid, but things aren't quite going the way I thought they'd go, or hoped they'd go, that music and writing are such a powerful balm for my spirit.

Up early this morning, I decided to put the ipod on shuffle and see what came up. And it was this sweetly sad song that most got under my skin:

If you walk away, I’ll walk away
First tell me which road you will take
I don’t want to risk our paths crossing some day
So you walk that way, I’ll walk this way

You see, last night, instead of having a pre-thanksgiving evening out with my man as planned, I ended up coming home alone after yoga. After getting some sleep, I'm trying to sort through the series of misunderstandings and emotional triggers on both of our ends that led to us walking away from each other last night, and I don't entirely get it, but I think this verse provides some insight:

A good woman will pick you apart
A box full of suggestions for your possible heart
But you may be offended and you may be afraid
But don’t walk away, don’t walk away

I sure hope he doesn't walk away for too long, and if he does, I hope he comes back with a clearer picture of what he wants and needs. It's hard for me to worry too much about it, because I've worked so damn hard to get to a place where I can hear my body and my heart and trust what they are telling me. And they're telling me to keep loving him, keep reflecting back his inherent goodness, and have faith that a love this powerful and this good can't be wrong...

No comments:

Post a Comment