Sunday, December 29, 2013

Atlas


Exploring the frozen tundra
What a great day! My kids and I started it off by cleaning up the house and making soup in the slow cooker for dinner with our neighbors this evening.

Then we headed out for a rather cold, but awesome walk to Sundance to take in the movie version of the second book in The Hunger Games trilogy, Catching Fire.

The song to mark this day is the one that was playing as the credits rolled, a song that Coldplay wrote just for Katniss and friends:

Some saw the sun
Some saw the smoke
Some heard the gun
Some bent the bow

Sometimes the wire must tense for the note
Caught in the fire, say oh
We're about to explode

Carry your world, I'll carry your world
Carry your world, I'll carry your world

Some far away
Some search for gold
Some dragon to slay
Heaven we hope is just up the road

Show me the way, lord, 'cause I... I'm about to explode

Carry your world, I'll carry your world
Carry your world, I'll carry your world

Carry your world, and all your hurt.

As for me, I'm learning slowly that I can't carry anybody's world and all their hurt, not even my kids'. It's a tough lesson but an important one, because if we carry too much for others, we both rob them of the opportunity for growth and rob ourselves of some of our own vitality.

Lighten your load, yes. But carry your world? Nope. Not anymore...

No comments:

Post a Comment