Thursday, December 5, 2013

Desire

This song has been playing in my head the past couple of days, ever since I started pondering what it means for me to move into a space where I can miss my ex without feeling bad about it. I asked myself what it is I miss, and part of it is him. The person with whom I fell in love and all the reasons I did. And that's ok. I still miss my first love, too. I still miss things about him now, 23 years after we dated. It doesn't get me down, though, it's even sort of semi-pleasant.

And now to what inspired the song:

Yeah
Lover, I'm on the street
Gonna go where the bright lights
And the big city meet
With a red guitar, on fire

Desire

Yes, the other thing I really miss about my last boyfriend and our relationship is being desired and desiring someone. Maybe because that really was my first relationship where desire got separated from the icky stuff it was attached to when I was a young girl, so I could finally just enjoy it:

She's a candle burning in my room
Yeah I'm like the needle, needle and spoon
Over the counter with a shotgun
Pretty soon everybody got one
I'm the fever when I'm beside her

Desire
Desire
Lady

And the fever, getting higher
Desire
Desire
Burning
Burning

And enjoy it I did. With any luck, it won't be too long before I'm in a relationship where I can enjoy it again. God knows after my last relationship, I'm not going to settle for anything less than burning desire in my next one...

No comments:

Post a Comment