Thursday, March 27, 2014

Pompeii

This morning I kept having the experience where a few lines of a song kept playing over and over again in my head without me knowing what song it was. But it wasn't long before, through the wonders of the internet, I found it:

Eh-eh-o eh-o [6x]

I was left to my own devices
Many days fell away with nothing to show

And the walls kept tumbling down
In the city that we love
Great clouds roll over the hills
Bringing darkness from above

But if you close your eyes,
Does it almost feel like
Nothing changed at all?
And if you close your eyes,
Does it almost feel like
You've been here before?

And I think I know why this song's on repeat in my head. Today is the first full day of my reunion with my New Englander, and in most respects, it really, truly feels like nothing changed at all: Having him stand in my kitchen and sleep in my bed feel like the most natural thing in the world. But in other respects of course, things have changed. He no longer lives here. We haven't seen each other in nine months and we don't have a definite timetable for when we'll live in the same place again, though being together has made us both feel increasingly certain that that's the way it's going to go.

I also feel like we're both trying to find a way to put the best possible spin on what is in some ways a difficult situation:

How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
How am I gonna be an optimist about this?

For him, too, there's an element of dealing with the guilt and the financial fallout and all the other yucky stuff we had to go through, and really, still have to go through before we get to the place where we're ready to live in the same place again:

Oh where do we begin?
The rubble or our sins?
Oh oh where do we begin?
The rubble or our sins?

No comments:

Post a Comment