Saturday, July 12, 2014

Sheena is a Punk Rocker

I get updates from People magazine via email. I don't know why -- I never signed up for it -- and a lot of the time the alerts are about things I don't care about.

But not today. Today the People alert was the bearer of some sad news that I care deeply about: Tommy Ramone, the last of the original Ramones, died. He was 65.

I don't know if I would've made it through high school without punk music. At the very least, I would've emerged fettered by all the things I could only release in the mosh pit at concerts, or in my best friend's truck, or in my bedroom when my parents weren't home, with the help of people like Tommy Ramone and his boys.

So many great songs -- it's tough to choose which one to use in tribute -- but this is the one that feels the most natural today:

Sheena is a punk rocker
Sheena is a punk rocker
Sheena is a punk rocker now

Sheena is a punk rocker
Sheena is a punk rocker
Sheena is a punk rocker now

Well she's a punk punk, a punk rocker
Punk punk a punk rocker
Punk punk a punk rocker
Punk punk a punk rocker

Sheena is a punk rocker
Sheena is a punk rocker
Sheena is a punk rocker now

Uh-huh. And Sarah was a punk rocker too.

A part of her still is...

No comments:

Post a Comment