Friday, July 18, 2014

Stronger

Today at the gym I went to a functional TRX class, where the trainer assigns all kinds of functional exercises that students do in circuits -- some exercises use the TRX -- some don't.

As I was doing push ups inside of two rungs of a ladder lying on the floor and then moving sideways to the next two, the trainer came over and said "Those are some solid push-ups, Sarah, nice work!" I positively beamed. I'd noticed myself that since I've been practicing Ashtanga as it was meant to be practiced -- 6 days per week -- for nearly two months now -- I can actually execute a real, live push-up -- no knees down -- no going down halfway -- no bowing of the back -- and then another, and then another.

I've never liked push-ups, so I never would've gotten to this point relying on doing push-ups to get me there, but I love my yoga practice. And it's where we find joy that strength follows with the least amount of resistance.

Just ask Kanye:

So we gon' do everything that Kan like
Heard they'd do anything for a Klondike
Well, I'd do anything for a blonde-dike
And she'll do anything for the limelight
And we'll do anything when the time's right
Ugh, baby, you're makin' it (harder, better, faster, stronger)

Na-na-na that that don't kill me
Can only make me stronger
I need you to hurry up now
'Cause I can't wait much longer
I know I got to be right now
'Cause I can't get much wronger
Man I've been waitin' all night now
That's how long I've been on you

I need you right now
I need you right now

Yes, thanks to my yoga practice, I'm getting stronger every day. And the stronger I get, the less I need anyone else to complete my experience with every day life. That doesn't mean I won't welcome a partner when the time comes, but it does mean that focusing on getting stronger myself -- physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually -- is all I need right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment