Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Doin' It Our Way

"Spring" break -- Chicago style!
My kids and I randomly heard the Laverne and Shirley theme song on our way home from our trip to Chicago:

Give us any chance - we'll take it
Read us any rule - we'll break it
We're gonna make our dreams come true....
Doin' it our way

Which feels appropriate to describe our trip since we did wind up (unknowingly) breaking a rule:
Doin' it our way is sometimes against the rules

Nothin's gonna turn us back now
Straight ahead and on the track now
We're gonna make our dreams come true...
Doin' it our way

My kids laughed at me as I sang along -- which if you grew up watching Laverne and Shirley like I did, you pretty much have to do -- but it was all in good fun.

Things are feeling pretty darn great with my kids this spring break and on the momentous occasion of my son's 16th birthday:
16? Wow -- where has the time gone?

There is nothing we won't try
Never heard the word impossible
This time there's no stopping us
We're gonna do it

On your mark, get set and go now
Got a dream and we just know now
We're gonna make our dream come true
And we'll do it our way - yes our way
Make all our dreams come true
And do it our way - yes our way
Make all our dreams come true
For me and you

My life doesn't look like I imagined it would. I didn't think I'd get divorced and even after I'd adjusted to that idea, if you told me I'd still be single nearly seven years later I wouldn't have believed that either. But here I am, just soaking up these last few years with my kids before they're both off to college, and feeling grateful for (almost every) moment of it...

No comments:

Post a Comment