Friday, December 16, 2016

Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)

Yes, baby, at long last, please come home!
I feel like every year I enjoy hearing Christmas carols on the radio a little bit less. Sounds curmudgeonly, doesn't it?

Not sure exactly why, but I've had more trouble than I usually do getting into the holiday spirit in general this year. Maybe it's because my kids are older and harder to buy for, or the turbulence in my family of origin, or a combination.

But when I heard this song, I mostly felt happy that although my baby's not coming home in time for Christmas, he is coming home, first to visit in January and then for good by July:

(Christmas) the snow's comin' down
(Christmas) I'm watchin' it fall
(Christmas) lots of people around
(Christmas) baby, please come home

(Christmas) the church bells in town
(Christmas) are ringing in song
(Christmas) full of happy sounds
(Christmas) baby, please come home

They're singing Deck The Halls
But it's not like Christmas at all
'Cause I remember when you were here
And all the fun we had last year

(Christmas) pretty lights on the tree
(Christmas) I'm watching them shine
(Christmas) you should be here with me
(Christmas) baby, please come home

They're singing Deck The Halls
But it's not like Christmas at all
'Cause I remember when you were here
And all the fun we had last year

(Christmas) if there was a way
(Christmas) I'd hold back this tear
(Christmas) but it's Christmas day

(Please) please
(Please) please
(Please) please
(Please) please (please)

Baby please come home (please)
(Christmas) baby please come home
(Christmas) baby please come home
(Christmas) baby please come home (Christmas)
Oh yeah yeah

(Christmas)
(Christmas)
(Christmas)

Oh yeah, Christmas. And after a bunch of Christmases when he didn't come home -- like the one I marked in this very raw blog post -- I'm so glad that this year, he's at least with me from across the miles.

And here's a PS to the 2014 blog post:

He worked his way back to us. When I left him alone. When I really give him the space to choose that for himself, if he wanted to, and myself the space to meet someone new, if I wanted to. When I wanted him but didn't need him so much. When he gave himself the space to heal. When the time was right, even if the time in between was really tough for both of us in a lot of ways...

He's coming home. Hurray!

No comments:

Post a Comment