Thursday, January 12, 2012

Rocketeer

Last night we had the pleasure of attending my son's first middle school concert. One of the things I love about him going to a public school is all the diversity. The concert featured all the sixth graders -- choir, band (in which he plays percussion) and orchestra -- and as usual, it was the choral numbers that I didn't make it through dry eyed. Those young people with those great big voices! So beautiful.

Here's one of the songs they sang:

Here we go, come with me
There's a world out there that we should see
Take my hand, close your eyes
With you right here, I'm a rocketeer

Let's fly
Up, up here we go, go
Up, up here we go, go
Let's fly
Up, up here we go, go
Where we stop nobody knows, knows

I'm really proud of how well he is doing transitioning from his small, private school to this great big public middle school. There is a world out there that he should see -- and is now getting to see -- some of it isn't pretty, but I can't protect him from it forever. My hope is that he already knows how to fly, I just have to be willing to let him go...

No comments:

Post a Comment