Thursday, June 19, 2014

Naked As We Came

This love song isn't nearly as upbeat or catchy as yesterday's post, but it's another one that stuck with me days after I heard it.

In this case, I'd never heard it before, but I think it's really lovely:

She says "wake up, it's no use pretending"
I'll keep stealing, breathing her.
Birds are leaving over autumn's ending
One of us will die inside these arms
Eyes wide open, naked as we came
One will spread our ashes 'round the yard

She says "If I leave before you, darling
Don't you waste me in the ground"
I lay smiling like our sleeping children
One of us will die inside these arms
Eyes wide open, naked as we came
One will spread our ashes round the yard

When I heard it, I thought: I know what that feels like. To love and be loved so much that the thought of dying in his arms is peaceful and comforting and not at all scary.

And that's so huge, that knowledge. Because it means I'm not going to settle for anything shy of it...

No comments:

Post a Comment