Wednesday, December 30, 2015

I'll Be You

So much fun to hit the slopes with these two again!
There's something about skiing that brings on nostalgia for me, big time. Skiing is among my best memories from high school and college, and it has been so much fun to introduce it to my kids. I'm hoping one of these days to get them out West so that they can experience skiing in the mountains, which is ever so much more beautiful and satisfying.

Speaking of nostalgia, skiing reminds all three of us of how fortunate we were to have someone so passionate and skilled at skiing along for the ride for a couple of years there for what we in the Midwest call skiing. Yes, my daughter looks back on the day she spent with the New Englander at the biggest resort she's ever been to (Granite Peak) as one of the best days of her life -- she said so when we hit Cascade today.

I'm glad he could give her that. I'm glad it's a memory she cherishes. But most of all, I am glad the three of us were back out there today, soaking up the experience. A bunch of the runs were "closed" -- but for Archie and her mini me, those signs felt more like suggestions that we just didn't feel like taking. And so we enjoyed a little more powder, a little more adventure, than we otherwise would have, which was awesome.

And now, speaking of nostalgia and awesomeness, this song by The Replacements came on in the car on the way home:

If it's a temporary lull
Why am I bored right outta my skull?
Man, I'm dressin' sharp an' feelin' dull

Lonely, I guess that's where I'm from
If I was from Canada
Then I'd best be called lonesome

And if it's just a game
Then I'll break down just in case
Oh yeah, we're runnin' in our last race

Well, I laughed half the way to Tokyo
I dreamt I was Surfer Joe
An' what that means, I don't know

Here come my favorite lines:

A dream too tired to come true
Left a rebel without a clue
And I'm searching for somethin' to do

If it's just a game
Then we'll hold hands just the same
So what, we're bleeding but we ain't cut

And I could purge my soul perhaps
For the imminent collapse
Oh yeah, I'll tell you what we could do
You be me for a while, I'll be you

A dream too tired to come true
Left a rebel without a clue
Won't you tell me what I should do?

And if it's just a lull
Why am I bored right outta my skull?
Oh yeah, keep me from feeling so dull

And if it's just a game
Then we'll break down just in case
Then again, I'll tell you what we could do
You be me for a while
You be me for a while and I'll be you

Ah yes, perspective taking. It's made for so much more peace between siblings, and so much more contentment for my once-broken heart...

No comments:

Post a Comment