Monday, January 23, 2017

Separate Lives

This song started playing on the inner jukebox yesterday while I was working in the kitchen:

You called me from the room in your hotel
All full of romance for someone that you met
And telling me how sorry you were, leaving so soon
And that you miss me sometimes when you're alone in your room
Do I feel lonely too?

Specifically, the lyrics that came to me, which I then sang loudly and cried, were these:

You have no right to ask me how I feel
You have no right to speak to me so kind
We can't go on just holding on to time
Now that we're living separate lives

It feels a little ironic that although I lived a life separate from the love of my life for 2 1/2-3 1/2 years -- depending on how you count it -- I never used this song during that time to mark a single one of those days. Especially since I used to belt this number out about romantic relationships on a pretty routine basis in high school and college.

When it came to me yesterday, though, it was all about my parents:

Well I held on to let you go
And if you lost your love for me, well you never let it show
There was no way to compromise
So now we're living (living)
Separate lives

Ooh, it's so typical, love leads to isolation
So you build that wall (build that wall)
Yes, you build that wall (build that wall)
And you make it stronger

Well you have no right to ask me how I feel
You have no right to speak to me so kind
Some day I might (I might) find myself looking in your eyes
But for now, we'll go on living separate lives
Yes for now, we'll go on living separate lives
Separate lives

Yes for now, we will go on living separate lives, because it feels true in my heart that unless/until they  are willing to be real about what transpired and REALLY know how I feel, they have no right to ask...

No comments:

Post a Comment