Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Can't Get You Out of my Head

Tonight I have ipod shuffle to thank for bringing me a song, and what a song it is. Wow. I know I've heard Kylie Minogue, the original artist, sing it before, but I don't think I've ever heard the Flaming Lips cover, at least not the way I'm hearing it tonight. So. Incredibly. Powerful. Have a listen to this studio performance or this live footage of the Flaming Lips singing:

Can't get you out of my head -- boy, your love is all I think about.

I can't get this song out of my head and I don't want to -- think I'll just put it on repeat as I go off to sleep tonight. As for the meaning behind the music, I have been grappling a bit of late with my tendency to obsess about men. Listening to this song tonight, what struck me is that it isn't anyone's love that I can't get out of my head -- because I haven't ever really experienced the love that I hear him singing about. I've never been able to let myself be that vulnerable -- so instead, it's the potential that I see in men to give me this love and the potential I have to love them that I can't get out of my head.

I think it's high time to change all that. Potential doesn't keep me warm at night, and I want the kind of love I hear in Wayne Coyne's voice.

Ok, so Chris Martin doesn't keep me warm at night either, and I don't think Coldplay works the same magic with this song that the Flaming Lips do, but my God, he is beautiful...

la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la

No comments:

Post a Comment