Friday, June 11, 2010

Make me a pallet on your floor

Today is the anniversary of the birth of someone who has been really important to my post-divorce growth. Our relationship was intense, flawed, beautiful, lonely and amazing all at the same time. One of the many things we shared during the time we spent together was music. It was tough to pick one song, because there were so many, but this one won for three reasons: 1) he introduced me to Gillian Welch (and she's now a fave), 2) being at his house was such a powerful experience and 3) in many ways these lyrics (particularly with my minor alteration) describe what he gave me:

Make me down a pallet on your floor
Make me down a pallet on your floor
Make me down a pallet soft and low
When I'm broke(n) and I've got nowhere to go

It's hard to even put words to the level of pain I felt both in being alone after my divorce and equally, in being with someone new. His making me down a pallet on his floor (ok it was an exercise mat -- but close enough!), on his bed, on his butcher block counter -- supported me, held me, renewed me in ways for which I will always be grateful. The last time I was at his house, while he slept, I curled up in the fetal position on the butcher block counter and cried. I think I knew I'd never be back there, at least not in the same way.

This haunting song just may transport you to a time when you felt something akin to this. And in my opinion, the cover by Gillian Welch is far superior to the original by Doc Watson.

No comments:

Post a Comment