Friday, March 30, 2012

All of the Lights

Few things are more reassuring to me these days than waking up with a song in my head. It tells me the circuits are connected, the juices are flowing, the message is here, and it's my job to figure out how to put the message to use. Today's message isn't the least bit cryptic.

I woke up hearing, loud and clear:

Turn up the lights in here baby
extra bright, I want y'all to see this
turn up the lights in here, baby
you know what I need
want you to see everything

I reckon this song arose out of two (or maybe three) circumstances:

1) Walking out of a particularly grueling (but productive) therapy session yesterday, my therapist left me with this parting word: transparency. She urged my love and I to let each other in on our thinking more, to collaborate and make decisions jointly. An area in which I, admittedly, could use some work. But I really think I'm good for it this time around.

2) My decision to make this blog public again and my renewed commitment to working on my memoir.

(3) I've been working out at the gym a lot, and this one has been a staple lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment