Saturday, September 14, 2013

Beat City

Just finished 19 hours of alone time with my 13 year old, which I'm happy to say was an absolute pleasure. The song choice comes from the movie we chose to watch together last night: Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

As I think I mentioned last weekend, being able to watch PG-13 movies has opened up a new world for us, but watching PG-13 movies that I originally saw when I was 13 is another new world altogether. Seeing this movie from the perspective of a parent did change it a little bit, but it didn't detract from the pure pleasure of it, and I "got" Cameron's character more as an adult than I did as a child.

Then this morning, my son and I climbed on our bikes and rode downtown via the lakeshore path. We parked at the union, walked up to the Capitol, got some food, went to the Farmer's Market, and walked over to Monona Terrace to check out one of Madison's lovely lakes on a beautiful late summer morning.

We weren't cruising in a convertible Ferrari, and our city's not Chicago, which was so beautifully depicted in the video accompanying this song, but we decided it's a pretty good place to grow up:

Beat city now now,
Beat beat,
Beat city now now,
Woo-oo-oo,
Beat city now now,
Beat beat,
Beat beat,
Beat city,
I watch you tumble down.

Roll into America,
Roll your hands in policies,
I love it when you smile,
I love it when you
Sing, sing, sing, sing, sing, sing.

No comments:

Post a Comment