Thursday, September 5, 2013

Little Sparrow

The inspiration for today's selection came from last week's Modern Love column, which I read this afternoon. It was a touching tale of a woman who'd fostered a teenager, singing this lovely tune to her every night before bed:

Little sparrow, little sparrow
Precious fragile little thing
Little sparrow, little sparrow
Flies so high and feels no pain
All ye maidens heed my warning
Never trust the hearts of men
They will crush you like a sparrow
Leaving you to never mend
They will vow to always love you
Swear no love but yours will do
Then they'll leave you for another
Break your little heart in two

Isn't Dolly sweet? The Modern Love column was too -- right down to the teenager growing up to get a little sparrow tattoo as a tribute. I have a tattoo of a swallow -- you can see a picture of it here -- and I feel a kinship with all bird tattoo people.

My own little sparrow is having a bit of a rough go with the new school year, and hard as I try not to, I get all wigged out when she's upset:

Little sparrow, little sparrow
Precious fragile little thing
Little sparrow, little sparrow
Flies so high and feels no pain

Because she is precious, and she can be fragile, but unfortunately, she can't fly and must feel pain. And I know she'll get through it. I do my best to help her -- though she's dubious that I can -- and doesn't agree or know at the moment that often it's just listening -- being heard and understood -- that helps the most when we're going through painful times.

I hope that's what she'll learn from me about the painful time I've been through recently -- because I sure wouldn't want the takeaway to be anything like the one in this verse:

All ye maidens fair and tender
Never trust the hearts of men
They will crush you like a sparrow
Leaving you to never mend

Little sparrow, little sparrow
Oh the sorrow never ends

I disagree. The sorrow ends, and then it comes back around again, but in the meantime, there's room for joy. And I don't care how sweetly Dolly sings the words -- I gotta take issue with her advice on not trusting the hearts of men.

Because you see, my little sparrow, our hearts are made of something so vital, so strong, that though they may be crushed, they can always be mended. At least, that's what your mama believes...

No comments:

Post a Comment