Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Blame it on the Boogie

The trip to Milwaukee yesterday was largely to attend the ribbon cutting of a charter school on the South side of the city. The school is authorized by the City but the facility was financed in part by Andre Agassi. Turns out he started a charter school in 2001 in his hometown of Las Vegas, and wanted to find a way to take helping poor kids get a better education to scale. So he found a partner and started a firm to help finance charter school facilities, which is one of the most difficult aspects of starting this kind of school. How cool is that?

Of course, it was a bigger deal for people my age that Andre Agassi was there than it was for the kids, who are called Rocketeers after the technology-driven educational model on which the school is based: Rocketship.

But the biggest deal of all is that these kids have the opportunity to go to a great school in a brand new building -- and as they sang and danced to this Jackson classic -- you could see and feel their excitement:

Don't blame it on the sunshine
Don't blame it on the moonlight
Don't blame it on the good times
Blame it on the boogie

I just can't, I just can't
I just can't control my feet
I just can't, I just can't (Yeah)
I just can't (Woo) control my feet

I love that Andre Agassi uses his fame and fortune to help poor kids have better opportunities in life. It'll be exciting to monitor their success at their new school, and I plan to keep doing whatever I can to help facilitate educational opportunity for all kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment