Monday, September 16, 2013

I am the Highway

I-94 between Milwaukee & Madison
I heard this song the other day, and I've been thinking about it ever since. Am I the highway?

I kinda think I am:

I am not your rolling wheels – I am the highway.
I am not your carpet ride – I am the sky.

I sure felt one with it this morning, driving to Milwaukee under an absolutely gorgeous sky:

Friends and liars don't wait for me,
'Cause I'll get on all by myself.
I put millions of miles under my heels;
And still too close to you, I feel.

That's an interesting line - or last couple of lines -- that seems to speak a bit to my situation. Only it's hard to feel too close to someone you love, even after you break up, I think. A friend was trying to advise me about contact with him, and she asked how I feel after talking to him. Generally, I feel better than before the conversation, but I admit that hearing his voice does perhaps make me miss him more again. But then, that's what's real, and it's ok to feel what's real, right? I remember I made a promise to myself about not making any more arbitrary rules, so I'm not. It's a little tricky, but I think it's a do the best you can until it gets easier kind of situation. I can talk about it now without crying, as I did today when I met my friend for happy hour at a cool Milwaukee spot. And that seems like progress:

I am not your blowing wind – I am the lightning.
I am not your autumn moon – I am the night… the night:

Yep, that's me too -- on the drive home

No comments:

Post a Comment