Friday, February 18, 2011

Songbird

It isn't just the temperature inside the Capitol that has been rising over the past few days -- the warming trend has continued on the thermometer as well. The other morning when I left for work on my bike, I enjoyed the sound of songbirds on what for months had been a frozen, silent ride.

This morning walking with my son to school, he noticed the songbirds too. The main thing melting snow means to him is that soccer games move outside again -- and he's ready for it. (Of course, this is Wisconsin, so we'll undoubtedly swing back in the other direction before the winter completely gives way to spring.)

I gotta admit, it's a giant relief to me to hear the birds singing again, even if I have had this one to keep me company this winter:


Her name is Annie, and it may look like she's about to migrate, but she always stays right here with me. When I got her, I knew on an intellectual level I'd find a man with whom I'd want to nest again, but I was so far from feeling it that a huge part of me didn't trust it. I felt a little less alone once she landed on my arm, but nothing compared to the love I now feel coming from my man -- even across the miles.

Yep, hearing this song from Oasis this morning, I'm feeling tons of gratitude that the better days are here:

Talking to the songbird yesterday
Flew me to a place not far away
She's a little pilot in my mind
Singin songs of love to pass the time
Gonna write a song so she can see
Give her all the love she gives to me
Talk of better days that have yet to come
Never felt this love from anyone

No comments:

Post a Comment