Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A Case of You

Last night at my son's solo and ensemble concert, I was, as usual, moved to tears on numerous occasions, including watching him play his trombone. But what really got me going was one of his friends covering this sweet little ditty by Joni Mitchell. I'd never heard it before, but it's got a great sound and some really great lyrics:

I remember that time that you told me, you said
Love is touching souls
Surely you touched mine
Cause part of you pours out of me
In these lines from time to time

Oh you're in my blood like holy wine
You taste so bitter and so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you darling
Still I'd be on my feet
I would still be on my feet

No one sings and plays the guitar quite like Joni, but watching my son's friend play the guitar as she sang, I resolved once again that this would be the year I'd finally start taking the guitar lessons I've wanted to take for so long.

One of these days I just may have a cover of this song on you tube, but in the meantime, although none of these feature the guitar, these chicks all do a decent cover: Diana Krall, KD Lang and Tori Amos. I dig all those chicks, but I think my favorite version (second only to Joni's) is by an honorary chick: Prince.

No comments:

Post a Comment