Saturday, February 5, 2011

Wouldn't It Be Nice?

Last night my friend and I watched a seriously cheesy movie: It's Complicated. It's about, or was supposed to be about, the unresolved feelings that one often has about one's spouse after a divorce. I remember when it came out -- I suggested to my ex-husband that we see it together (the exes in the movie end up sleeping together again) -- but he didn't think that was such a good idea. When it came out on DVD, I stuck it in my Netflix queue and forgot about it until it arrived on my doorstep on Friday. I think the premise is well worth grappling over in a movie; unfortunately, no seriously grappling took place -- just a bunch of overacting, on-the-surface dialogue, and poor wardrobe choices.

Like so much of the movie, the music was overly obvious in many places, including the use of this Beach Boys classic. I was pleasantly surprised, however, when I looked up the lyrics to this song, and found that much of it mirrored the marathon conversation I'd had with my man yesterday afternoon before watching the movie:

Wouldn't it be nice if we could wake up
In the morning when the day is new
And after having spent the day together
Hold each other close the whole night through

Happy times together we've been spending
I wish that every kiss was neverending
Wouldn't it be nice

You know it seems the more we talk about it
It only makes it worse to live without it
But let's talk about it
Wouldn't it be nice

Yep, we do talk about it, all the time. And we both agree that the complications we've both been through in our previous relationships, along with our willingness to talk about them, makes it more likely this time that:

We could be married
And then we'd be happy

We're also smart enough to know, this time around, that in order to be happy in a marriage, both people need to be happy with themselves first -- togetherness is most definitely a happiness enhancer, but when it's the cause of the happiness, the relationship is going to be a lot more tenuous, not to mention complicated...

No comments:

Post a Comment