Monday, February 7, 2011

Better Man

I was psyched when my ipod landed on this one this morning, and not just because, as you know, my ears know no sweeter sound than the voice of Eddie Vedder. He's had a lot of looks over the years -- you can see him more significantly shorn than usual in this video which features the crowd singing along -- or view the longer locked man I'm more familiar with (and fancy more) in this video (but be forewarned -- the audio doesn't quite match the video).

I've always loved this song -- I loved it when I was single and feeling proud of holding out for a better man. I loved it during the latter part of my marriage when I identified with these lyrics:

She lies and says she's in love with him
Can't find a better man
She dreams in color, she dreams in red
Can't find a better man, can't find a better man
Ohh

Talkin', to herself there's no one else
Who needs to know
She, tells herself, oh...

Memories back when she was bold and strong
And waiting for the world to, come along
Swears she knew it, now she swears he's gone

She loved him, yeah...
She don't want to leave this way
She feeds him, yeah
That's why she'll be back again

Can't find a better man...

And I love it now, as a no-longer-bitter divorcee who can see that if the person you're with doesn't feel like a great (wo)man, it isn't necessarily because (s)he isn't, but because you're not great together. Sometimes all it takes to become a better (wo)man is to fall in love with someone different, someone who more closely matches your own needs.

You can find a better (wo)man. Or be a better (wo)man. The trick is to let go enough to allow it to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment