Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Dear Mama

My kids were off school again today because of the severe cold. It was kind of nice to be able to wake up late and have a leisurely breakfast, even if it was like day 17 of that since we're right on the heels of winter break.

My son requested french toast but my daughter wasn't sure what she wanted. I suggested cinnamon toast and she agreed. After breakfast, she came over to where I was sitting at the table, put down her plate, kissed my forehead, and said:

"Thanks for breakfast, Mom. It was delicious."

Awwww! Does it get any better?

Being a Mom can sometimes feel like a thankless job, which is why moments like that are soooo sweet. I love that Tupac, whose own mother was released from prison just weeks before he was born, wrote a song to help us Moms know we're appreciated:

There's no way I can pay you back
But the plan is to show you that I understand
You are appreciated

Lady...
Don't cha know we love ya? Sweet lady
Dear mama
Place no one above ya, sweet lady
You are appreciated
Don't cha know we love ya?

I do indeed, and not just when they express it.

I'm sure sorry Tupac's Mama had to lose him so young, but I bet it meant a lot to her that he wrote this song before he died. This is my favorite verse:

Pour out some liquor and I reminsce, cause through the drama
I can always depend on my mama
And when it seems that I'm hopeless
You say the words that can get me back in focus
When I was sick as a little kid
To keep me happy there's no limit to the things you did
And all my childhood memories
Are full of all the sweet things you did for me
And even though I act craaazy
I gotta thank the Lord that you made me
There are no words that can express how I feel
You never kept a secret, always stayed real
And I appreciate, how you raised me
And all the extra love that you gave me
I wish I could take the pain away
If you can make it through the night there's a brighter day
Everything will be alright if ya hold on
It's a struggle everyday, gotta roll on
And there's no way I can pay you back
But my plan is to show you that I understand
You are appreciated

No comments:

Post a Comment