Saturday, November 8, 2014

Girls Chase Boys

It seems like this song is on the radio constantly these days -- in the car -- at the gym:

All the broken hearts in the world still beat
Let's not make it harder than it has to be
Ohh, it's all the same thing
Girls chase boys chase girls

Yes they do. And I've done my share in the past, but up until yesterday, I wasn't interested in chasing boys. Why would I, my heart kept telling me, when I've already found my love?

Because, my brain fired back today, your love has told you that he's staying put in New England for the foreseeable future, and that he's not ready to be your one-and-only.

Which means, added my sweaty bod when I came off the trails at CamRock to find a dude loading up his stuff in the parking lot, it's time for you to get back out there again:

I'm a little let down but I'm not dead
There's a little bit more that has to be said
You played me now I play you too
Let's just call it over

Yes, let's. Because it is, for now, at least. But seeing as the last boy chasing I did was in the summer of 2010 before I met the New Englander, I gotta admit, I'm feeling a little rusty.

So while I thought about just asking this dude in the parking lot if he wanted to get a beer, I didn't. And then he drove away before I did, so as I started back toward town, I told myself that if I saw his car parked somewhere, I would stop.

With this note, I'm officially back to boy chasing
There it was, at the first bar I drove past, and true to my word, I did stop. But when I went in, I didn't immediately see him. I hadn't exactly studied what he looked like, remembering mostly his clothes, which I guess he must've changed when he got there. Plus, the way the bar is set up, most of the people's backs were to me, giving me no chance of picking him out easily.

The difficulty in identifying said mountain biker, combined with my competing desire to go to a yoga class, made me decide to walk back out of the bar. But as I started to drive away, I told myself I needed to do a little better than that for my first boy chasing effort, so I left a note on his car.

Who knows if he will call? Who knows if I'll be attracted to him if he does? The one thing I know is that my intuition would've let me know if pursuing a conversation with him/leaving a note had a bigger possible downside than a benign but ultimately futile effort. He had a Canadian bumper sticker -- how bad could he be?

In any case, it's exciting in that it helps me affirm to the Universe:

I got two hands, one beating heart
And I'll be alright
I'm gonna be alright
Yeah I got two hands, one beating heart
And I'll be alright
I'm gonna be alright...

No comments:

Post a Comment